Wednesday, February 1, 2012

The Hostess with the Mostest.

On January 26th our friend Kaylene Sibley lost her battle with breast cancer after only 13 months. In the end it didn't matter how much she wanted to fight, the end came quickly and she was ready to see Jesus.
I wrote the following to share in her Thanksgiving service, but in the end all was said, and said beautifully, I didn't need to add a thing.
This is a brief tribute to a dear friend.


My Friend Kaylene was the Hostess with the Mostest!!   She had the most amazing ability to make people feel both special and yet completely relaxed when in her home.
It didn’t matter whether it was an event or just an impromptu late night coffee. Her hospitality was always an experience.
Kaylene had a knack for details and it was rare to visit without being invited to share in her latest find. Be it coloured sugar shapes, sugar spoon stirrers, pretty patty pans, and gorgeous serviettes. But all the details in the world would have meant nothing if they hadn’t come as part of a  package. Kaylene’s love, thoughtfulness and warm friendship was part of her recipe.
It wasn’t just at home that she pulled this off. We have fond memories of Emma’s birthday at Taronga Zoo, Dinner at the Domain for Jazz in the Park and many a local picnic. She always did everything possible to make it memorable. 
Kaylene was a beautiful, uncomplicated dear friend and our lives are so much richer for having known her and having the privilege of journeying life with her.
We have also shared faith together, trusting Jesus through all that life throws up. The good, the bad, and the everyday.  It is one thing to ‘trust God’at the beginning of a journey as Kaylene did 12 months ago, it is quite another to stand firm and trust Him, as Kaylene did, to the very end. I was comforted to know that she still knew God’s peace, the kind of peace only He can bring.
I have to keep reminding myself that this life here on earth is short compared to the promise of forever with Jesus if we know Him.  What a celebration that will be. I know that we will have lots more time to spend together in heaven. 
-----------------

Allen, Rachel, Matthew and Emma - you are loved by us and constantly in our thoughts and prayers.
I can't begin to imagine just how tough this next season will be for you all. But I do know that God is faithful and will walk with you. 



Her friends knew her well enough to know that and 'after though' style spread of food would just not do. They cooked from her recipes, pulled out the pretty plates and generally went the extra mile. I am sure she was watching from heaven and delighted. But I am also pretty sure that it wasn't a match for the party heaven threw her on arrival.

Kaylene, you are missed.

1 comment:

ARTwendy ... said...

Thanks for sharing Meridith ... I hadn't thought that we could have met in person last week ... She was wonderful hey!?