inspired by my sister Lyndall - I am trying to record some thoughts for the coming year. And agree with her that if not done NOW the time rarely comes to do it later.
So, with Paul and Bronte doing the groceries and Capri sucking her foot behind me in the bouncer, ironing stacked a mile high and rooms that need getting ready for friends that arrive in a few hours - HERE I GO.
My word for 2009 is FEAST.
After spending some time chatting to God about this year he reminded me of a vision that someone had several years ago for me. God had laid out a banquet (on my kitchen bench, of course) but I stood alongside looking a little anorexic.
Over the years I think that I have fattened up a little spiritually and physically BUT I sense that there is something different about this year, that will no doubt be revealed along the way. When you look at the definition below in a spiritual context it is pretty exciting - I think.
It is my desire to dwell with great delight with my friend Jesus, and to hoe into his word.
To celebrate friendships by laying out the table - this bit I find easier to say than do. Honouring friendship in a practical way.
feast /fist/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [feest] Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun 1. any rich or abundant meal: The steak dinner was a feast.
2. a sumptuous entertainment or meal for many guests: a wedding feast.
3. something highly agreeable: The Rembrandt exhibition was a feast for the eyes.
4. a periodical celebration or time of celebration, usually of a religious nature, commemorating an event, person, etc.: Every year, in September, the townspeople have a feast in honor of their patron saint.
–verb (used without object)
5. to have or partake of a feast; eat sumptuously.
6. to dwell with gratification or delight, as on a picture or view.
–verb (used with object) 7. to provide or entertain with a feast.
—Idiom8. feast one's eyes, to gaze with great joy, admiration, or relish: to feast one's eyes on the Grand Canyon.
When God gave me this word, I thought "now there's a weird one" but I think that I am going to enjoy working out all the God means for me to learn from it. To make matters a little more interesting I was captured by another word on the way home in the car as we listened to a CD by Bill Hybels. ENOUGH. This word has already begun to change me and I love that. I thought that these two words were an interesting combination FEAST and ENOUGH (a conflict of interests even)but had another revelation when I found them in this simple statement on dictionary.com
"ENOUGH is as good as a FEAST".
Enough
E*nough"\, n. A sufficiency; a quantity which satisfies desire, is adequate to the want, or is equal to the power or ability; as, he had enough to take care of himself. "Enough is as good as a feast."
And Esau said, I have enough, my brother. --Gen. xxxiii. 9.
I have ENOUGH
and that ENOUGH is indeed a FEAST - one that I desire to SHARE.
FEAST isn't about acquiring more OR being indulgent it is about enjoying, revelling in ALL that right in front of us.
Baby now sad - BYE
No comments:
Post a Comment